collegamento alla pagina del progetto ScansEmas collegamento a notizie utili Comune di Scansano

  Via XX Settembre 34 -58054 SCANSANO (GR)   tel: (039) 0564509411   fax: (039) 0564509425 e-mail:

Home | L'Amministrazione | I Servizi | La storia | Luoghi da visitare | I musei | Teatro | Avvisi | Manifestazioni | Pubblicazioni | Il Morellino | Agriturismo

ti trovi in > home > Places to visit





















The castle of Petreto was mentioned for the first time in writings, which date back to 1274, about the occasion of the division between the two branches of the Counts Aldobrandeschi (Earl of Saint Fiora and of Sovana) and it was submitted to the dominion of the Earl of Saint Fiora.

Transformed in Franciscan oratory, the castle was subdued to the Republic of Siena in 1339.

It seems that the oratory has entertained St. Bernardino from Siena in 1422.

In 1507 the count Guido Sforza opened the convent with its relative church dedicated to St. Pietro to the Petreto.

The convent part is, at present, a private property whereas the church is part of Scansano’s parish property.

To visit the church ask for information to the priest of Scansano telephone number 0564-50 72 39



The etrurian settlement "Ghiaccio Forte " was located in 1973 thanks to some excavations that , besides wide parts of the boundary walls, brought to light the structures of the urban plant.

The following excavations, even if they were brief excavations, last of which dates back to 1981, have allowed to verify the destruction of the inhabited area after a fire, the identification of a "stipe votiva" rich in bronze and pottery, the identification of an oven for melting, the location of three entrances to the inhabited area and some rooms.

Recently the archaeological area has been bought by Scansano’s Municipal administration and it can be visited following the indications of the tourist road signs.



In 1986 the Prof. M. Del Chiaro from the University of St Barbara, California, located the walls of a roman construction.

Following excavations partially brought to light the walls of a villa whose splendour is testified by the presence of rooms for sauna, remains of paintings, magnificent floors, wide garden and important remains of colonnades.

The villa, according to the Prof. Del Chiaro, belonged to the Anilia family and it could date back to the period between the 50 BC and the 50 AD.

The villa, brought to light for about a quarter of his extension, is on private property and now it can’t be visited for lack of access.



The first news about the castle and the court of Montorgiali are in a Bull by Clemente III in 1188 addressed to the Bishop of Grosseto.

The castle, of mighty look because of its structure (facciavista) was built on the top of a knoll and has still today important arched windows and shelves of "piombatoi" which are now disappeared.

The castle and the village suffered the ups and downs deriving from the hostilities between the Aldobrandeschi of the branch of St Fiora and the Republic of Siena.

The counts of Montorgiali, who were at first vassals of the Aldobrandeschi, in 1224 sided with Siena and supported expensive wars that forced them, to face the expenses, to cede the rights of some properties among which Castiglioncello and its relative district.

In 1378 Montorgiali was sold to the Republic of Siena.

The Castle of Montorgiali, transformed in a residence, is now a private property.




The Castle of Montepò, built by the noble Roberto Sergardi from Siena in the first half of the 14th century is 7 Km from Scansano.

Montepò is a strengthened farm, or castle – enclosure, which during the years has been object of extensions that have given it the present rectangular plant provided with 4 towers, one for each corner.

The access to the wide inner courtyard is situated on the south-west side and it was protected, in the past centuries, by the dominating "caditoia a camino" and by two "balestriere" (two loop–holes for shooting arrows with the crossbows) that are situated on the two towers on the sides of the entry.

The Castle of Montepò, recently restored, is a private property.